So a while back we talked about filling non-working fireplaces with books and logs, but I still wasn’t sure what to do with our own empty hole in the wall. We’re not going to be in this flat for very long, a few more months at the most, so I’ve been trying not to do too much (an impossible task for a decorator/stylist).
On Saturday when I should have been working on more important things, I came up with a quick fix for our fireplace. I turned it into a little reading nook for my kids, with fairy lights, pillows and a blanket.
I’m not saying it’s particularly sophisticated or elegant and really it would be much better if you had an empty fireplace in a child’s room rather than the living room. But I don’t care. I’ve never been particularly good at being a sophisticated grown-up. It’s just a bit of fun.
When my kids are older I can do grown up things with my fireplace. Much more important to me is the thought that years from now they might say “Do you remember when you made the fireplace my reading nook? I loved that”.
My pre-teen and Gracie the Frenchie even got in on the action. Success!
What a fab idea. If I had an empty fireplace, I would snitch this in a second! I'll bet it warms up the room something lovely.
It really does add something to the room. You can't go wrong with fairy lights can you?
[…] SOURCE […]
I have noticed pillow cases that look Kyrgyz/Kazakh. Just wanted to say I was happy to see them, as I come from Central Asia, where this kind of pollowcases are made. I wonder how you got them? 🙂
Dear Meerim, I actually got them at a shop in Los Angeles about 8 years ago. They are still some of my favourite cushions!
I absolutely love this! Can I please ask how you’ve hung the fairy lights and that bit of rope? Is it just taped to the inside? I have a similar size fireplace and would love to do this. What did you block the fireplace with?
The rope is just some lengths of finger knitting my kids had made and I taped it and the fairy lights to some board that was already blocking the fireplace ‘ceiling’. It was a rental house so it was just a temporary fix working with what we had at the time, but my kids loved it! Good luck with yours.